This article describes how to compile and import a Wise script to the Windows Installer package using PACE Suite - MSI Editor.
a) Wise script (.WSE)
b) Symantec Wise Package Studio or Flexera WiseScript Package Editor
c) PACE Suite
d) Windows Installer package
In case if you have already compiled the script, prerequisites "a)" and "b)" are not needed and corresponding instruction steps "1)" – "3)" could be skipped.
- Launch WiseScript Editor, which can be found at one of the following locations:
a. "Program Files Folder\Symantec\Wise Package Studio\WiseScript Editor\Wise32.exe"
b. "Program Files Folder\WiseScript Package Editor\WiseScript Package Editor\Wise32.exe"
- Open your Wise script file (.WSE), selecting Open… from the File menu.
- Once the script is opened, compile it into EXE, selecting Compile from the File menu. Find the compiled EXE at the same location with the opened Wise script.
- Launch MSI Editor.
- Select Open… from MENU.
- Choose an MSI package, to which you want to import the compiled Wise script, and click Open.
- Switch to the Custom Actions tab and select Add -> Custom action to create a new custom action that will run your compiled script.
- Select the Launch an EXE type and click Next >.
- Click New binary.
- Click on the Upload button, located at the end of the 'Data' field.
- Choose the compiled Wise script (.EXE) and click Open.
- Enter a name for the new binary item, which will contain the selected script, and click Ok.
- Enter the "/s" value to the "Command line" field for executing script in the silent mode and click Next >.
- Select the "Deferred" from the Execution mode field for launching the compiled script in the deferred block. Tick the Run in system context option to execute the script in the system context. Choose the A synchronous execution that ignores exit code and continues option from the Return processing option field for launching the script synchronously with the installation. In this case, it ignores exit code and continues anyway. After that, click Next >.
- Select Run after InstallInitialize from the Execution sequence (recommended) field and NOT Installed from the drop-down list of the Execution sequence condition field to run the script only one time during installing the package after the InstallInitialize action. Click Finish to add Custom action to the MSI package.
- Once the new Custom Action is added, save your package selecting Save… from MENU.